This is how the Virginia run will work -
There will be a pre-staked Hero Marker every mile covering 250. We run for over 700 heroes so many markers will have multiple names. The marker will have a date and time that the runners will arrive. The timing is very specific and will be listed by mile at specific intervals. A small core team of athletes running 8-9 minute miles will arrive at the designated time (or as close as possible). When runners arrive at the hero marker they will be carrying four full size flags as well as small sets of American and Honor and Remember flags. American, Virginia State, Honor and Remember and Sacrifice Flags. If available they will hand those four flags to any supporters waiting at the marker (veterans, or supporters, not necessarily family). They will then read the name of the hero, branch of service and date of death. Then place the small flags in the ground along side the marker, step back, come to attention and salute. (or kneel and say a few words in reverence). Runners will take turns carrying and placing the small flag sets. After salute the runners will pay respects to waiting immediate family members if present with a hug. Retrieve flags from those holding and then begin next mile. This will be accomplished in 90 seconds or less. There will be no hesitation, other families are waiting ahead. Each mile is specifically accounted for, 10 minutes apart. Families can fellowship with advance team before and others after runners arrive at that Hero Marker.
1. Runners approach Hero Marker
2. Hand 4 flags over to waiting people if available. (otherwise hold)
3. Flags held at attention by people at marker
4. Runners read hero information place small flags in ground.
5. Runners salute the hero and family. (pay respects)
6. New runners card and flag sets are handed to a runner for the next leg.
7. Runners retrieve 4 flags and start to next Hero Marker.